Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Ashcroft and I like to sing

In honor of Ashcroft's resignation today, one of the best stories to come out of his tenure: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/1788845.stm

And, of course, his Let the Eagle Soar performance in Charlotte, NC:
http://www.cnn.com/video/us/2002/02/25/ashcroft.sings.wbtv.med.html

I'd comment on Charlotte here if not for Matt Goad, who provided me with my first-ever clip... about me. He was beyond kind, and seeing it today made me so giddy I'm posting it:

Sing us a song, Ms. Piano Lady
From Columbia's J-School Journal

Could a budding superstar singer be killing time at J-School?

If the reaction to Jen Weiss's open mic performance at Paddy Reilly's on Second Avenue on Saturday was any indication, the answer is yes. Weiss played piano and sang to a supportive crowd. The men in the audience were especially appreciative, making a point to crowd around her after the gig to say how great she was.

Weiss, who has studied piano for a long time, was playing in public for the third time. All of her performances have been at open mic nights at New York City bars.

One song included at least one word that would not be suitable to print in a family newspaper.

I certainly didn't feel I was all that and a bag of chips, but I had fun and was grateful that people came. Paddy Reilly's is a great little joint on 29th and 2nd, with a Guinness tap for every letter of the beer's name. I didn't even have time to drink one, because I arrived late and had to set up as soon as I got there. I think I'll test-drive two new songs Sunday night at The C Note this weekend, and then play at PR's again next Saturday (before Caitlin's gala karaoke-night birthday party.) Rick Johnson, the booking dude, invited me back --- but I'm unsure whether it was because I'm talented, because I drew a crowd of people who bought drinks, or because I was ruthless and flirty when I walked around with the tip bucket later that evening and raked in a sizeable amount of dough.

How much did Rick let me keep? Enough to buy 20 coffees from the J-School's 6th-floor vending machine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home